Inspiring Change Agents: Getting Your Team on Board with New Technology
In the previous blog post, we explored how the Gartner Hype Cycle (GHC) and the Technology Adoption Lifecycle (TALC) can help real estate leaders balance the risks associated with selecting and implementing new technology for their agents. As 2015 begins, given widely reported forecasts of a healthy 2015 market, it’s even more important to present sustainable technology to your agents…at just the right time. To help guide you in this evaluation, timing, and balancing process, we’ve compiled these seven recommendations:
- Create agent innovation teams comprised of your first, second, and third tier agents. Ask these teams what problems they’re facing and what would make these problems disappear. Ask these teams to validate new technology to ensure it meets their needs.
- Appreciate the importance of good design. Many brokers that have focused on implementing great user interface and user experience design have realized high consumer satisfaction levels. Thus, to help agents adopt new technology look for the same design cues in the back-end that you see on the best front-end designs.
- Gamify activities like lead notification and response. Agents are typically a competitive bunch. Thus, make a contest out of using core system components.
- Push for agent sweat equity. Rather than do everything for an agent when rolling out a new system, give agents a small task to complete that will allow them to use as many components of a new system as possible (like recreating their clients’ saved searches).
- Find proven technology. This seems obvious, but many brokers have wasted agents’ time and energy with technology that’s simply too new and unproven.
- Train effectively. Make it fun and have goals and tiers that agents can achieve based on their demonstrated usage of the system. Remember the old adage, “You have to crawl before you can walk.”
- Focus on agents’ personal brand. Agents’ personal brands are central to their business generating goals. To gain their attention, and their commitment around a new technology, make sure that a new technology ties to their personal brand.
For more detailed information on how these seven best practices positively affect agent technology adoption, and to learn how the right system will consistently deliver sustainable innovation that drives increases in profitability, productivity, and performance, download our free white paper.